Thursday 9 October 2008

Juvenile Propaganda

As a Mum of a young toddler, I am constantly exposed to adult-created propaganda which aims to teach children about appropriate behaviour - you know in children's books, cartoons and tv shows.  Often I just take it in my stride and think to myself, "Yes it would be nice if Cassie can learn to be generous and caring like the character in this book" but yesterday I found myself ODing.  We were watching Sesame Street and, of all characters, Oscar the Grouch was delivering a sermon to his pet worm about not pushing or bullying another worm.  (I know, I need to get out more!)  Oscar gave the worm the opportunity to apologise for his inappropriate behaviour and as the worm approached the other worm, I found myself thinking to myself, "C'mon you don't have to say sorry.  Give him a smack on the head!"  I don't know what this says about me but I hope it's no more than the cry of my heart for more subtlety in juvenile propaganda!

No comments: