Sunday 25 May 2008

Saving the World

Having a young child is taxing of time, energy and creativity.  That's no startling new information but lately I've been wondering how I can be a bit more outward focused rather than being totally consumed by motherhood.  Admittedly, I do have to fight a belief that I should be trying single-handedly to save the world, but even so I felt I could be doing a bit more than I currently am with my resources.  My noble thoughts had drawn a blank and I was feeling a little bit despondent until Saturday.  Cassie, my daughter, and I went to a birthday party.  It was for a little chap we didn't know that well but we'd been invited, the house wasn't far away and I thought we'd go.  In fact I did prevaricate because his Mum had told us that she expected about 27 children to turn up and the image I had of complete chaos was a bit daunting.  Nevertheless I thought we'd turn up and if there were the expected 27 kids and chaos was ruling, we could stay a short time and then go home again.  So I bought him a present and a card, dressed Cassie up in her party dress and off we went.

As it turned out, there were not 27 children there; there were 4 including Cassie.  One of those was the party boy, another was his sister.  His Mum was over the moon that we came.  I didn't have to leap a tall building or ride off on a daring steed, I simply needed to turn up to a local kid's birthday party to make a difference to someone else's day.

Of course it doesn't stop there but it's good to be reminded that making a difference doesn't necessarily mean a huge expenditure of time and energy.  

No comments: