Wednesday 5 October 2005

Racism

Racism has always been an issue that disturbed me, not least the fact that my own heart often leans towards segregation and superiority. Happily, much has been done to fight this ugliness and the world has moved on considerably from the popularly held views of the 19th century and before. Yet, I suspect that as long as the human race lingers, racism will be alive and well somewhere.

The more I ponder this issue, the more it occurs to me that those who genuinely believe in “white supremacy” couldn’t have got it more wrong. Recent genetic research suggests that in order for the genetic mix that we have in the human race today to be possible, the earliest humans must have been black. Also, observable genetics indicates that “black genes” are dominant over white genes. Most “mixed-race” children are a testimony to this fact.

When you consider what black races have suffered at white hands, what they’ve survived, then it would also appear that on average, black people are stronger physically and perhaps mentally than white people.

However, when it comes to the most important issue, the state of a person’s heart, how can colour have any bearing whatsoever? The choice to love others or, on the other hand, to live selfish lives, faces every human being regardless of their genetic makeup. Surely that’s how we should be judged and not by what we look like or aspects of our culture.

In Malawi, many “black Malawians” (for wont of a more appropriate term) seem to accept that more respect is due to white people than to their own people. I can walk down a street and be greeted by several people whereas a black woman would usually be ignored. Most of the black Malawians around me refer to me as “Madam” and are very reluctant to greet me by my first name. It makes me sad and I feel like saying to them, “How am I any different to you? I deserve no more attention or respect than you do. The future of this country lies in your hands. Be proud of your heritage and who you are. Stand up and fight for what is good and right.”

In the meantime, I pray.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, funny but really true observations. Its just a matter of ignorance and the fact that some pips think so.

What do u think bout members of the Asian community?

Its just that pips will often call u madam to get a favour. I wouldnt b wrong to say u work for an NGO right and u might b driving a good car( VX, Hilux raider etc). What does that say.

1. You are well connected therefore a good busineess contact

2. The assumption is that u r a European foreigner.

3. Maybe one day i might need a Visa to UK or US this might be the gateway.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are all the same. There is racism in Malawi as well unfortunately - one only has to listen to Southerners talking about Northerners. All humans are the same . . .